I moved to Wisconsin when I was a little girl, and I can’t imagine living anywhere else. I remember life in southern Florida. And I spent my college years in Pennsylvania and Illinois. But nothing feels as good to me as being home in Wisconsin. And I’m not alone. If you talk to people who live here, you’ll find many of them would have it no other way. What makes them love this state so much? I did a quick survey, and here are some of the answers.
- Many people mentioned the different seasons we have. The leaves changing color, the snow clinging to every bare tree branch, the burst of colors in the spring, the warmth of summer. One of the great things about living in the north.
- A couple of people also mentioned how much they love the greenness of the state. In the summer, it is lush – lawns, trees, hills. Red rocks and purple mountains are beautiful in their own way, but there is something about green.
- Minnesota may be the land of 10,000 lakes, but Wisconsin actually has more, including Lake Michigan. Those who responded to the survey really enjoy having the water nearby.
- A few people mentioned that they love a good Friday fish fry. Started by German Catholics who couldn’t eat meat on Fridays during Lent, the fish fry has become a staple in the state. Go to just about any restaurant on Friday, and you’re bound to find fried fish, potato salad or pancakes, rye bread, and cole slaw. Yum!
- Wisconsinites enjoy the many wonderful places we have to visit in the state, including Holy Hill, Door County, Devil’s Lake, the waterfalls in Superior.
- Frozen custard made the list! There’s no comparison to ice cream, gelatto, or any other frozen dessert. If you have Culver’s near you, you can get a taste. But it’s not as good as the genuine article from some of the mom and pop places around the state.
If you live in the state or have visited it, what do you like best about Wisconsin?